BenH kernel weirdness

I compiled and updated to yesterdays BenH 2.3.4pre3 from an older BenH
2.3.3, because Ben had alluded to adding some basic power management stuff
for the TiBooks.  I have to say that the new kernel seems to run
significantly cooler than the old one (I 'book was getting hot enough that
I started to be concerned about its well-being).  Still sleeps fine in X,
haven't been brave and tried sleeping from the console yet.

However, a few hours later as I'm typing away, I glance in the top left
corner of the screen, and I see that the GNOME panel has been overwritten
by a "it came from the depths of the kernel" type error message that said

Negative DEC -1

I've only seen this once so far, never seen it before.  Search engines
haven't been terribly enlightening on this.

Any idea what the kernel is trying to tell me?