Re: BenH kernel weirdness

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:

> However, a few hours later as I'm typing away, I glance in the top left
> corner of the screen, and I see that the GNOME panel has been overwritten
> by a "it came from the depths of the kernel" type error message that said
>
> Negative DEC -1
>
> I've only seen this once so far, never seen it before.  Search engines
> haven't been terribly enlightening on this.
>
> Any idea what the kernel is trying to tell me?

Seems you found the place in the sleep code BenH hacked so that you _need_
to enable xmon debugger for a succesful compile. A grep through the source
showed this (it took a couple of tries - it actually was not a capital N
it spit out, it seems...):

jonas@auryn:~/src/linux-2.4-benh$ grep -rC 'egative DEC' *
arch/ppc/kernel/idle.c-         asm("sync ; isync ; mfdec
%0" : "=r" (dec) :);
arch/ppc/kernel/idle.c-         if (dec < 0)
arch/ppc/kernel/idle.c:           xmon_printf("negative DEC ! %d\n", dec);
arch/ppc/kernel/idle.c-
arch/ppc/kernel/idle.c- }

Maybe BenH would like some info on what you where typing when it happened
:-)

 - Jonas

--
Jonas Smedegaard   <jonas@jones.dk>   http://www.jones.dk/~jonas/