Re: .sit files

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:31:08PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:51:17AM -0500, W. Crowshaw wrote:
> > Actually, it doesn't hurt anything if the MacOS HFS FS is mounted on the kernel
> > and hmount'ed with hfsutils. I access the HFS FS both mounted and hmounted
> > all the time.

 hmount doesn't actually do anything.  If you modify it with hfsutils, then
you're insane (and lucky).

> then you have been lucky.  the kernel will NOT be aware of the changes
> to the filesystem that your making behind its back with hfsutils,
> since hfsutils manipulates the raw device (/dev/[sh]d?[0-9]*).
> modifying a read-write mounted filesystem with hfsutils is just asking
> for serious filesystem corruption and even possibly a kernel
> malfunction.

 I'd be careful about modifying even a read-only mount.  The kernel could
get itself confused because its cache would no longer agree with disk
contents.  (you would probably just get stale data, but you might actually
get a kernel crash.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y