Re: .sit files

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:02:48AM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:55:26AM -0400, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> >  It is a Mac OS application, and therefore has a filetype,
> > creator code, and resource fork.  While you might be able to extract the
> > bitstreams of all these (and the data fork), they won't do you much good.
>
>  It's not hard if you use hcopy.  Just don't actually mount the FS with the
> kernel, let hcopy deal with it.

Actually, it doesn't hurt anything if the MacOS HFS FS is mounted on the kernel
and hmount'ed with hfsutils. I access the HFS FS both mounted and hmounted
all the time.

>  Umm, just use tar + bzip2 on Unix, macbinary + bzip2 on MacOS.  BeOS must

The difference between MacOS files that have been MacBinarized, tarred
together, and then gzipped (or bzip2ed) is tremendous.  I just posted
the source code for one of my MacOS applications using both Stuffit and
macbinary, tar, gzip combination.  The source code Stuffed was 2.8MB.
The source code which was macbinarized, tarred, and gzipped was 460K.  Wow,
what a difference!!  Hurrah, for open standards!  Not only is StuffIt a
rip off, but you don't have to worry about when Aladdin arbitrarily decides
to change its file format.

--
wcrowshaw