Re: MOL .debs (was: Power Management et. al.)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:07:16AM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:
> On  18 Apr, this message from Ethan Benson echoed through cyberspace:
> > i was going to look at this again to see what i could come up with.
> > one really tricky problem is it seems you often MUST recompile the mol
> > modules against the exact kernel source of the running kernel.
> > otherwise they don't work.
> >
> > on my system when i upgraded to 2.2.19 and force load the 2.2.18 mol
> > modules mol bitches that the kernel patches don't match mol or
> > somesuch rubbish.  i think this happened from 2.2.17 -> 2.2.18 as
> > well.
>
> IIRC, MOL has to patch the running kernel under under 2.2 kernels (not
> under 2.4 kernels anymore). SO it does need to know the kernel it is
> patching...

2.4 apparently has the patches merged into a config option.

as for 2.2 mol DOES sucessfully patch the kernel, or so it says, its
just that after forcing the mismatched modules in and attempting to
run mol that it claims the kernel patches are too old, mismatched or
something like that.  so its either the modules didn't work, or it
mispatched the kernel (!)

--
Ethan Benson who finds the idea of patching a running kernel hideous
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/