Re: Trouble booting Debian on Firewire iBook

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:28:43AM -0500, Brian Dunnette wrote:
> Okay, fixed the partition type, then ran 'ybin -C /target/etc/yaboot.conf -m
> /target/etc/ofboot.b', which returned several 'yaboot.conf: line too long' (or
> something like that) errors; then, when I try to do the 'boot hd:9' bit, I get:

ok i really need to see this yaboot.conf, what did you do link it to
/dev/urandom? ;-)

also when you setup a yaboot.conf correcly you only need one command
line switch to ybin/mkofboot:  -C /whatever/yaboot.conf and even then
you only need it if the yaboot.conf is somewhere other then
/etc/yaboot.conf.

> parsing <CHRP-BOOT>
>
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=70 at  %SRR0: ff80b648  %SRR1: 0000b030
>  ok
>
> Do I need to do something further to my yaboot.conf file?  It's basically the
> default one, just with the partition number changed.

i think you may need the yaboot-0.9-0.30-3 package that was just
installed into potato r3.  the potato r2 yaboot had missing machines
in the compatible entry if yours is one of them OF will refuse to boot
it.

for now try:

boot hd:9,yaboot

once your booted, make sure your /etc/yaboot.conf is correct (please
post it, along with output of df /).  and upgrade your yaboot package
(apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get install yaboot).

once you have yaboot-0.9-0.30-3 installed and a correct
/etc/yaboot.conf run:

mkofboot -v

i also would like to see the output of mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/