Re: ibook keyboard not correct under X

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Jean-Noel Colin wrote:

> I have successfully installed potato on my ibook indigo with a french
> keyboard. I configured the keyboard properly under console mode (even
> though I need to rerun kbdconfig each time I reboot), but under X, I
> have some problems. All alphanumeric keys work properly, but
[cut]

It sounds like you might be using a customized keyboard setup - maybe
something from http://www.linux-france.org/article/materiel/mac/ (I don't
understand french, so I can't judge the quality of the site).

I have success using the following in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Then I use 'setxkbmap dk' in the Gnome Keyboard Switcher Applet. (You'd
probably want 'setxkbmap fr' or similar).

You could probably also hardcode your language into XF86Config-4, I just
prefer the us layout as default.

> Except from these, I am very pleased to run debian on this system. I
> already own a PC running debian and making the family bigger was quite
> satisfactory!!

So do I - but the design of Apple hardware is simply much nicer IMHO. My
other machine is a Sony VAIO, so not the worst competition ;-)

 - Jonas

--
Jonas Smedegaard   <jonas@jones.dk>   http://www.jones.dk/~jonas/
IT-guide dr. Jones    <dr@jones.dk>   http://dr.jones.dk/    +45 40843136