ibook keyboard not correct under X

Hi

I have successfully installed potato on my ibook indigo with a french
keyboard. I configured the keyboard properly under console mode (even
though I need to rerun kbdconfig each time I reboot), but under X, I
have some problems. All alphanumeric keys work properly, but

the backspace key does not work: I have to press shift-backspace to
get it work. However, in dialog windows, the backspace key acts as a
delete key!

I can't get the pipe (vertical bar) character. I tried by pressing
shift + option + L, but it does not work. The same is for backslash.

Can someone help me in fixing this?

Except from these, I am very pleased to run debian on this system. I
already own a PC running debian and making the family bigger was quite
satisfactory!!

Jean-Noel Colin