Re: XFree4 on Pismo - kernel 2.4

On Saturday 14 April 2001 02:04, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 03:29:02PM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> > Then I just made one more modification to my 2.4 kernel because wvdial
> > woudn't find the internal modem. I figured that I hadn't compiled serial
> > support, so I added it, recompiled, rebooted - still no modem.
> > It works fine under 2.2.18pre21 - the one that comes with potato. So I'm
> > still using 2.2.18pre21 'cause I need internet :-)
>
>  You might not have noticed that there are two places where you can turn on
> serial port support.  The Standard/generic under Char devs is _not_ the one
> you want, at least not on my mac-clone desktop.  The one you want for the
> Z8530 UART Macs have is "support for PowerMac serial ports" under
> "Macintosh device drivers".
>
>  I don't know if this is the trick for the internal modem on a Pismo, or
> what, but if you haven't compiled linux for a Mac very often, you might
> have missed that.

It was the trick. Thanks, I found it out just yesterday. Actually, I used
wvdial to dial in with kernel 2.2.18pre21. Under 2.4-benh, wvdial would say:
"modem does not respond" but I *had* compiled in mac serial support. Well, I
tried pppconfig in combination with pon/poff - and it worked! So, wvdial
seems not to work with the kernel 2.4 mac serial driver...

--
    Philipp von Weitershausen
[ *pronounce: "fun Viters-houzen" ]

Web http://www.philikon.de/