keyboard not working under X

I have a Pismo that was running more-or-less vanilla testing, and I added
Bastien's Ximian packages to my apt sources.

Now it boots, gets as far as the Ximian login dialogue, and then the
keyboard stops working. I can't log in, and because the keyboard is not
working, I can't kill the X server or move to the console.

So: what do I supply to the yaboot prompt to get a console without X? And
once I've managed that, any suggestions for getting the keyboard working?

Stephen