Re: Ancient date on TiBook (Was: Titanium trackpad blues)

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:57:37PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Okay, Ethan - seems you know something about time om PowerBooks. Do you
> (or anyone else on this list) have a clue on this one also:
>
> When my TiBook dies fram a drained out battery, upon restart the time is
> reset to 1933. running 'date' says it is 1903. Running ntpdate doesn't
> help - suspect it doesn't deal well with "negative" dates below 1970.

yes unix clocks don't really know what to do with dates like that, i
was looking at the kernel source at that part once and found some
strange stuff where it looks like its trying to hack around the issue
then to just update the clock to something more sane.

> I made ntpdate work again by manually running 'date -u 010112002000'
> before the ntpdate command.

thats about what you have to do.  before i wiped linuxppc it insisted
on resetting the clock back to 1933 on every boot, don't ask me why i
solved it by rm -rf / && apt-get install debian

> Would it maybe make sense to add this kind of "reset" to the kernel -
> maybe with an earlier date, like 1/1 1970. If not, then maybe just add
> such reset in ntpdate?

that would make more sense IMO.  there is no legit reason for the
clock being set to 1933, changing it to the epoch is certianly not
going to make anything worse.

i am curious as to why these powerbooks don't have a small lithium
battery to solely maintain the clock when the main batteries fail?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/