Re: booting from CD on Ti PowerBook

> I just got my Ti PowerBook, and I'm trying to install Debian on it,
> having no use for the proprietary software that came with it.  I've
> made a CD of the non-us 2.2r2 image using the pseudo-image kit and
> cdrecord.

I was just doing this last night

> So, I get into OpenFirmware, and then I try using "boot cd:", but that
> fails with:

boot cd:\\yaboot

The screen will clear and you'll see a Boot: prompt.  fairly quickly, you
must type

linux video=ofonly

at the prompt.  If you wait more than a few seconds, it will start the
default boot, and video wont work.

You'll see a few messages after the boot prompt once you hit return, then
the screen will clear white and you'll see a message at the top about the
video chip for a few seconds, then the screen will clear black and linux
will be booting.  This will get you into the installer.

During partitioning, blow away your placeholder partition, then create
your Apple_Bootstrap partition (first, size 800K), swap, root and whatever
other partitions you want.

On my system, after writing out the partition table, the installer
consistently segfaulted, but the partition table did get written, and I
just had to reboot into OF and restart the installer as above.

At the end of the install, before rebooting, I switched to the console
(Cmd-Fn-F2).  Your newly initialized root partition will be mounted on
target.  You can go to /target/etc and edit the yaboot.conf you find
there, then run

mkofboot -b /dev/hdaXX -C /target/etc/yaboot.conf

to install the booter.  XX is the partition number of your Apple_Bootstrap
partition you created.  In my case, it comes out as /dev/hda9, 1-8 are
driver partitions and such.

-raf