booting from CD on Ti PowerBook

Hello,

I just got my Ti PowerBook, and I'm trying to install Debian on it,
having no use for the proprietary software that came with it.  I've
made a CD of the non-us 2.2r2 image using the pseudo-image kit and
cdrecord.

So, I get into OpenFirmware, and then I try using "boot cd:", but that
fails with:

0 > boot cd: method <load> not found; ihandle=0 phandle=0 load-size=0 adler32=1

LOAD-SIZE is too small
 ok
0 >

However, "boot cd0" does appear to work at first (I see a line printed
on the screen like "Loading ELF", which I assume is coming from the
Linux kernel), but then it eventually begins booting MacOS after the
screen flashes a few times (I see the "Welcome to MacOS" screen, at
which point I reboot).

FWIW, the OF header printed when I start the PowerBook is:

Apple PowerBook3,2 3.3.6f5 BootROM built on 11/12/00 at 21:26:37

Any help would be appreciated!