pmud / harddisk / kernel problem

hej,

I just want to report some problems I ran into - don't
know if it's the proper place here, but if not, I'm
sure someone's going to redirect me :)

I'm running Debian 2.2 for powerPC, having a customized
kernel (paulus, 2.2.17) and manually installed pmud-0.7-3.

--- problem: ---
When having PowerMac IDE support enabled with DMA
support (and having DMA support set to "on"), the
machine hangs whenever it seems to reset the harddisk
to different power levels. (Happened mostly while
booting, right after "Starting pmud: ...", but also
while reconnecting the AC power cable after a longer
period w/o AC power.

Usually, I got following messages (not literally,
I've gotten to work it now and don't want to mess it
up again :) )

Setting /dev/hda8 to MultiWordDMA 2
[pause]
/dev/hda8: lost interrupt
/dev/hda8: lost interrupt
[repeating endlessly]

--- workaround: ---
I compiled the kernel with
# CONFIG_PMAC_IDEDMA_AUTO is not set

(but with
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PMAC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
because it would not compile when completely
deactivating DMA)

made sure that in /etc/power/pwrctl
all appearances of "hdparm" use parameter
-d0 (do not activate IDE DMA).

---

well, whatever. :)

bye