Re: Help with X on iBook?

Seemed strange indeed. So I just looked at the source again and
saw that I had forgotten something. "UseFBDev" only works if you
specify the bus ID in the Device Section, like

    BusID	"PCI:0:16:0"

Interesting item that one... I ought to try see what happens without
that line.  I do have that line in my config file.  I believe that
_nothing_ works without it, but I ought to test that at some stage.

> provided I give it a decent modeline.

I don't understand why you need a modeline at all. But there's no point in
arguing over that of course. ;)

Well, at least I have figured out why XFree3.3.6 had such a strange
modeline.  The kernel aty128fb driver runs at that speed (the fact
that the chip does not run at that speed is beside the point--the
X server does not need to know that).

You said in an earlier post that "ProgramFPRegs" "No" killed the
display, is that no longer true?

Mostly.  It does kill the display if X dies... and X used to die
badly because, if you recall, I did not realise I needed to deal
with ldconfig because I was not using debian packages.  The problem
was, of course, when X died, the display did not reset to console
mode.  Now that I have things working, it all looks obvious :-(.

Cheers,

Kin Hoong