Re: debian-powerpc: upcoming 2.2r3 release

Olaf Grewe wrote:

1) Communicator still doesn't work on PowerPC (I'm currently using testing with kernel 2.4.2). That's OK because I'd prefer to use Mozilla anyway, *but* unfortunately Mozilla M18-3 is quite old now. The Mozilla people have made an official release (0.8) which should probably go in stable (but probably wont) and should certainly be in unstable/testing. I currently can not use any nternet banking because Java and/or SSL is not supported in Mozilla M18-3 (at least it doesn't appear so). I have installed netscape-browswer-4.6 on stable to get this functionality but it is broked on unstable/testing. I'd really like to see Mozilla get updated so I can ditch using Communicator ASAP. Does the powerpc mozilla maintainer lurk on this list ? <wink>

when I'm searching the package-list with dselect and apt-sources pointing to testing, it shows me all the Communicator packages I need (including smotif). Consequently it's installed and gives me all I need. What's the problem though?

It does show up in the package lists but it *wont* install due to unmet dependencies. I just did an 'apt-get update' this morning followed by an 'apt-get install' communicator. This is the result is listed below. I'd still rather have an more stable release of Mozilla rather than the beta (M18-3) that is currently installed :) I realise that unstable/testing is for betas but it doesn't make sense to have a beta version in unstable/testing that is older than the stable release of the product.

Regards,
Brendan Simon.

$ apt-get install communicator
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

 communicator: Depends: communicator-smotif-47 but it is not installable
              Depends: netscape-java-47 but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages