Re: ATA booting problems & solutions

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 09:34:02AM -0800, Benjamin Kite wrote:
> Woogy. It looks like the fact that I have a 2.0 firmware is keeping me
> from being able to boot.
>
> Would any of these help?:
>

> 	- Upgrading my OpenFirmware (where can you get replacement ROMs?)

hahaha don't we wish ;-)

these aren't Sun's silly ;-)

> 	- Creating an iso9660 filesystem on one of the partitions
> 		( read 2.0 can read off of iso9660 filesystems)

eh.. maybe, newworld OF support for iso is quite broken, oldworld has
bogus support for hfs and i think semi decent support for msdos.
msdos would be more straightforward.  see man mkisofs for iso though.

that is an idea, the .coff format kernels are supposed to boot on
Oldworlds ok, so creating a small msdos partition and copying .coff
kernels too it, then setting boot-device to that partition and file
explicity might work.  however i have found that newworlds refuse to
read from dos partitions unless the entire disk uses intel partition
tables.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/