Re: ATA booting problems & solutions

Woogy. It looks like the fact that I have a 2.0 firmware is keeping me
from being able to boot.

Would any of these help?:

	- Upgrading my OpenFirmware (where can you get replacement ROMs?)

	- Creating an iso9660 filesystem on one of the partitions
		( read 2.0 can read off of iso9660 filesystems)

I may just have to break down and boot from a floppy, but it would be nice
to boot from nonremovable media.

:::: Prior to now, Benjamin Kite wrote :::::::
::
:: :::: Prior to now, Ethan Benson wrote :::::::
:: ::
:: :: > Problem 1:	"ofpath" doesn't work on my system
:: ::
:: :: whenever you do this get booted, could you send me a tarball of
:: :: /proc/device-tree ? with this i can add support to ofpath.
:: ::
::
:: I can do that from that HFS boot disk. I'll send that off to ye.
:: I can get the base system installed... just can't boot. I may just
:: have to break down and make a boot floppy.
::
:: ::
:: :: > Problem 2:	The hdb thing worries me because I know the thing is
:: :: > 		set to be master but it's not coming up as hda.
:: ::
:: :: that is a bit wierd..
:: ::
::
:: I may be gonna hafta dig that drive out and make sure the jumper cap
:: isn't beaten up or worn on that jumper, but I'm very sure it's in the
:: master position.
::
:: ::
:: :: you might try setting load-base to 600000
:: ::
:: :: rememeber that is oldworld only don't do that on a newworld! (for the
:: :: benifit of maillist archives)
:: ::
::
:: That's right, Iron Ethan!  Remember that, kids at home:
::
::    NEVER CHANGE THE LOAD-BASE ON OPENFIRMWARE > 3.0
::     OR YOUR MACINTOSH WILL LOSE ITS WILL TO LIVE!
::
:: ::
:: :: check the netbsd FAQ first, here:
:: ::
:: :: http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-bugs
:: ::
::
:: I checked it out and doodled the settings around. I'm wondering if
:: I should just find some OF ROM > 2.0 and replace this one, but when
:: I looked for reseller parts, they only seem to have "user replacable"
:: items for sale. Does anyone know of someplace to find new/used OF
:: ROMs?
::
:: I sure would prefer a less buggy version of OF, as I (at least used to
:: be) a fan of OF from the NeXT/Sun.
::
:: ::
:: :::: End inclusion from Ethan Benson :::::::
::
::
:: --
:: 	"It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy."
:: 						-- Larry Wall
::
::
:: --