Re: Help with X on iBook?

Michel Dänzer wrote:
Kin Chung wrote:

> XF86Config:
> It turns out that the modelines are the only important detail.

If it really doesn't work without a custom modeline (the server
has 800x600 modes for 56, 60, 72, 75 and 85 Hz built in), I
suspect this is a subtle driver bug wrt pitch discussed here
some time ago.

Hmm.  I must have missed that one.  Would not be surprised though,
the ATI Rage Mobility 3 is a pretty new chip.

> It also turns out that the current XFree86 4.0.2 available at
> http://www.XFree86.org/ works well enough with the ATI Rage
> Mobility 3 that you don't need to resort to `Option "UseFBDev"'
> or `Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"'.

I can't believe that. The Debian 4.0.2 packages are basically
stock XFree86 4.0.2 . If there are differences they should be
caused by configuration.

They are most likely caused by the fact that I could not find
the stock XFree86 4.0.2 at the debian site and downloaded the
thing from the XFree86.org site (it is 40 MB so I did not feel
like downloading the thing twice).

> In fact, one of the problems with using the
> `"Program FPRegs" "No"' option is that when X dies or is killed,
> you don't get your console display
> back---the screen fades to white.

Right, that's why "UseFBDev" is the recommended option.

Except that you _don't_ need either option.  It even runs with
acceleration on and hw cursor, in 24-bit mode (don't try the 32-bit
though, not on the iBook anyway).

> The second biggest problem is that xfs no longer compiles as a
> daemon by default---the start-stop-daemon trys to start it and
> it takes over the machine at boot-time, so you don't ever get
> to log in!  Temporary fix is not to start up xfs.  Permanent
> fix (when I get around to it) is to recompile it to work as a
> daemon.

Why reinvent the wheel?

apt-get install xfs (from testing or unstable)

After my experience with the binary XFree86 3.3.6 package (very
strange how it did not work properly without a recompile---and
even then, it messed up the colour table), I now prefer to recompile
_everything_ I want to take seriously... at least until this iBook
gets old enough to be well-understood.  Hmm, this will really please
Apple if I tell them that should I ever get OS X!

Cheers,

Kin Hoong