Re: Help with X on iBook?

Kin Chung wrote:

> XF86Config:
> It turns out that the modelines are the only important detail.
> The short of it is: my XF86Config file looks more or less like
> the one I found ages ago (while trying to get XFree86 3.3.6 to
> behave) at hadess.net (see http://hadess.net/files/ppc/ibook/).
> Of course, one has to understand what one is doing before one
> realises that the solution is staring one in the face.  It is
> also very helpful that Apple does _not_ supply* any data about
> their flat-panel displays or the ATI graphics processors---and
> ATI tells you to ask Apple (well, at least I found out by looking
> at similar ATI cards that the maximum dot clock is about 58 MHz).

If it really doesn't work without a custom modeline (the server has 800x600
modes for 56, 60, 72, 75 and 85 Hz built in), I suspect this is a subtle
driver bug wrt pitch discussed here some time ago.

> It also turns out that the current XFree86 4.0.2 available at
> http://www.XFree86.org/ works well enough with the ATI Rage
> Mobility 3 that you don't need to resort to `Option "UseFBDev"'
> or `Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"'.

I can't believe that. The Debian 4.0.2 packages are basically stock XFree86
4.0.2 . If there are differences they should be caused by configuration.

> In fact, one of the problems with using the `"Program FPRegs" "No"' option
> is that when X dies or is killed, you don't get your console display
> back---the screen fades to white.

Right, that's why "UseFBDev" is the recommended option.

> The biggest problem I had, it turns out, was that if your compiled
> code was not packaged as a debian package first, then you had to do
> a little extra work which nobody talks about---run ldconfig.  Without
> that, the shared objects library is not linked into the system, and
> it dies a horrible death.

Nobody here discusses that because it's not needed normally - we have
everything as Debian packages. ;)

> The second biggest problem is that xfs no longer compiles as a daemon
> by default---the start-stop-daemon trys to start it and it takes over
> the machine at boot-time, so you don't ever get to log in!  Temporary
> fix is not to start up xfs.  Permanent fix (when I get around to it)
> is to recompile it to work as a daemon.

Why reinvent the wheel?

apt-get install xfs (from testing or unstable)