Re: Help with X on iBook?

Kin Chung wrote:

> > > It also turns out that the current XFree86 4.0.2 available at
> > > http://www.XFree86.org/ works well enough with the ATI Rage
> > > Mobility 3 that you don't need to resort to `Option "UseFBDev"'
> > > or `Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"'.
> >
> >I can't believe that. The Debian 4.0.2 packages are basically
> >stock XFree86 4.0.2 . If there are differences they should be
> >caused by configuration.
> >
> They are most likely caused by the fact that I could not find
> the stock XFree86 4.0.2 at the debian site

apt-get install xserver-xfree86

> > > In fact, one of the problems with using the
> > > `"Program FPRegs" "No"' option is that when X dies or is killed,
> > > you don't get your console display
> > > back---the screen fades to white.
> >
> >Right, that's why "UseFBDev" is the recommended option.
>
> Except that you _don't_ need either option.  It even runs with
> acceleration on and hw cursor, in 24-bit mode (don't try the 32-bit
> though, not on the iBook anyway).

Depth 24 is 32 bit by default.

Option "UseFBDev" for the r128 driver has nothing to do with the fbdev driver
and doesn't affect acceleration or any other feature of the r128 driver.

Stock XFree86's r128 driver kills all Mac notebooks if used without either the
"UseFBDev" or "ProgramFPRegs" "No" options or the "PanelWidth" and
"PanelHeight" options together.

> > > The second biggest problem is that xfs no longer compiles as a
> > > daemon by default---the start-stop-daemon trys to start it and
> > > it takes over the machine at boot-time, so you don't ever get
> > > to log in!  Temporary fix is not to start up xfs.  Permanent
> > > fix (when I get around to it) is to recompile it to work as a
> > > daemon.
> >
> >Why reinvent the wheel?
> >
> >apt-get install xfs (from testing or unstable)
>
> After my experience with the binary XFree86 3.3.6 package (very
> strange how it did not work properly without a recompile---and
> even then, it messed up the colour table), I now prefer to recompile
> _everything_ I want to take seriously...

You can't apply experience from 3.3.6 to 4.x, still:

fakeroot apt-get -b source xfs