Re: Help with X?

Alan DuBoff wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > Exactly. The point is that XFree86 4.x has standard modes (which should
> > work fine BTW) built in so you may not get what you expect. Look at the
> > log closely.
>
> Are you saying that a H and V rates are not needed at all?

Yes, of course they are. X strictly only uses modes which fit in the specified
ranges (the fbdev default mode being an exception). May have saved a lot of
monitors ;)

> It took me several tries to get a working XF86Config-4, and I ended up
> searching the web for that and PowerBook and after looking at some different
> ones, I chose a specific refresh rate. I looked all over and couldn't find
> the actual refresh rate for the LCD, Apple doesn't seem to have it on their
> site, it doesn't appear to be in my Getting Started book, I just couldn't
> find it anywhere.
>
> (this is for a Pismo)
> HorizSync   31.5
> VertRefresh 78.7
>
> I had got 31.5h and 75v from the web, but when I looked in the diagnostics
> from startup it seemed to be setting itself to 78.7v, so I changed it. I had
> some variable numbers, like HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5 and  VertRefresh 50-70,
> but it didn't like that at all.

What does "didn't like" mean?

> What are others using on a Pismo?

I have:

    HorizSync	30-64
    VertRefresh	55-65

That gives 1024x768 at 60 Hz which I understand is optimal for TFT.