Re: evolution etc...

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:26:10PM +1100, Craige McWhirter wrote:
> Toumas, not having really used the Evolution address book (I'm back to using Balsa/Mutt) I gave it a whirl and experienced exactly what you described.
>
> I could watch (with gkrellm) my RAM and swap get gobbled up. I averted a crash only by closing Evolution just before the swap filled up. It also works fine on my i386 machine.

 How to prevent runaway processes from eating all your RAM and causing
trouble for the rest of the system:
put  ulimit -S -v 100000  in /etc/profile.  (adjust to whatever number of
bytes of virtual memory you want any one process to be able to use.  This is
a soft limit, so users can bump it up if they need more for anything,
without needing any rootly priviledges.)

 If you want to stop runaway daemons as well, I guess you could set the
limits in /etc/init.d/rc, since that script runs all the S* and K* scripts,
so the limits will be inherited.

 see  help ulimit  for more info.  (It's has to be a shell builtin to work,
so it is, so bash has built in help for it.  There's a man page too.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y