Re: Help with X on iBook?

Kin Chung wrote:

> > > Tried both of those with recompiles even to make sure it was not
> > > the patches or any brain-death I added.
> >
> >What patches? Those options work with stock XFree86 4.0.2.
>
> No idea what the patches are about.  They came with the download
> (in a separate package).  They do seem to add more errors than
> they remove :-(.

What package anyway? Don't you use the Debian 4.0.2 packages?

> > > Neither worked.  The `Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"' option killed the
> > > display (it turns out that it does not kill Debian (yay, still have
> > > ethernet to reboot the beast).
> >
> >Can't you even exit with ctrl-alt-del?
>
> This has never worked.  Once you hose the video settings, they
> are hosed.  Killing X does not bring the screen back, only a
> reboot will.

Starting X again might also help.

> >This probably means that it actually works but something's wrong with
> >refresh rates or something. Your Monitor Section is a bit complicated, take
> >a close look at the log.
>
> Yeah I know it is a bit of a dogs breakfast, but fbset -x gives
> me the 100.000 Hz setting (noted with a comment) in xfree3.3.6,
> so it ought to carry over to xfree4 (same aty128fb driver!)---
> obviously it doesn't because it don't work!

That's just the modeline. My concern is about the Refresh ranges in the
Monitor Section.

> >BTW have you tried the "PanelWidth" and "PanelHeight" options yet?
>
> Tried them with the "ProgramFPRegs" "No" option, but it did not
> really do any good.

These Options only have an effect if the flat panel registers are programmed
(i.e. "ProgramFPRegs" "No" is _not_ used). Sorry I didn't make that clear
before.

> It would appear that I have to sit down and figure out all the
> interconnections between xfree and aty128fb.o (in the kernel) before all
> this will start to make sense.  More reading, more experiments, more crashes
> :-).

aty128fb only matters with Option "UseFBDev".