Re: Booting to floppy

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 03:29:06AM -0800, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that in fact the rescue floppy is
> bootable on any arch that can boot a CD.  Because the bootable part
> of the CD is really just the rescue floppy image.  So technically

uh no, only on x86 or any arch that uses the x86 kludge for bootable
CDs.

> what prevents this from booting on new world macs is that they don't
> have floppy drives.  But a very slightly modified rescue floppy
> image is the bootable part of the CD.  It even says thanks for
> booting the rescue floppy or somesuch when you boot the CD.  Or last
> time I actually read what it says, it did.

no, newworld powermacs cannot boot the rescue.bin image regardless of
how its accessed.  Apple openfirmware does not use the x86 bootable CD
methods.  newworld CDs are simply hybrid HFS/ISO9660 filesystems with
yaboot and a small forth script in a directory marked `blessed' in the
HFS part.  OpenFirmware sees the CD as a HFS filesystem, looks for a
directory marked blessed, and checks if there is a file with the HFS
type: tbxi,  it then checks if its a forth bootscript and not a
binary and if so it runs it.  that script simply tells OF to boot
yaboot from the same place, and yaboot loads a kernel from the CD too,
in the same directory.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/