Re: Help with X on iBook?

Kin Chung wrote:

> >Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >Kin Chung wrote:
> >
> > >     XFree4.0.2 does not work at all at the moment.  The r128
>
> >I'm a bit surprised that you didn't find this in the archives,
> >considering how well you researched the other problems
> >(congrats! :).
>
> Thanks (doing researh is a bad habit from old USENET days, where
> you get flamed if you don't do your research first).

I don't think it's a bad habit, in fact I sometimes wish I had it. ;)

> You have to understand that the graphics driver problem is much messier than
> just about anything else, and X is a huge beast---too easy to get confused.

Of course.

> >You need
> >
> >    Option "UseFBDev"
> >
> >or
> >
> >    Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"
> >
> >in the Device Section. Either should do, but the first one only
> >works with aty128fb.
>
> Tried both of those with recompiles even to make sure it was not
> the patches or any brain-death I added.

What patches? Those options work with stock XFree86 4.0.2.

> Neither worked.  The `Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"' option killed the display
> (it turns out that it does not kill Debian (yay, still have ethernet to
> reboot the beast).

Can't you even exit with ctrl-alt-del?

This probably means that it actually works but something's wrong with refresh
rates or something. Your Monitor Section is a bit complicated, take a close
look at the log.

BTW have you tried the "PanelWidth" and "PanelHeight" options yet?

> The former option causes the xfree4 Xserver to complain that it can't find a
> suitable screen.

You do use aty128fb don't you?