Re: Booting to floppy

On Feb 27, Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> wrote:

 >There are two floppy images in the powerpc dist that might be
 >mentioned.  One is called rescue.bin, the other boot-floppy-hfs.img,
 >and hence a newbie might easily think that the former is the rescue
 >floppy mentioned often in the docs, but is not bootable on old world
 >macs, it is an ext2 file system, actually.  Maybe not bootable on
 >any macs since people keep saying that newworld macs don't have
 >floppy.  Maybe they work on some other powerpc platforms, I don't
 >know.
It does not work on IBM machines, and I can't see why it should work on
any other platform, since no open firmware version I know about
understands ext2.

The only way to install debian on a CHRP machine is to extract the
kernel from the ext2 floppy and copy it on a raw or FAT-formatted disk.
And then you discover the kernel has no serial console support, so you
have to find a PCI video card and put it in the machine. After doing
that you can finally boot the system, at least if the kernel is not too
old for your machine and dies with some weird error message.

--
ciao,
Marco