Re: need a little help installing

> let me use the existing swap partition. whenever I choose "initialize and
> activate swap partition" or "activate previously installed swap partition",
> the installer complains "no swap partitions that had not already been
> mounted were detected".
>
> I decided to select "do without a swap partition" and fix that later.
>
> then I tried to set up that spare partition to install on, so I chose
> "partition disk" from the menu and used that command line tool to delete my
> spare HFS partition and create a new one of type ext2 in its place. seemed
> to work fine, too, but still, "Initialize linux partition" gives me the same
> error as above.

I guess LinuxPPC used a partition type other than Apple_Unix_SVR2 for
their partitions. The Debian installer relies on Linux partitions having
that type, and won't show any other as available.

You probably hadn't changed the partition type of your spare HFS either?

You can change the type of a partition with pdisk IIRC. If not directly,
removing the partition and creating a new one with the proper type in its
place will do the trick. Read the pdisk aka mac-fdisk man page on the
details.

	Michael