Re: "CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT=y" in default debian ppc kernel

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:21:48PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:15:31PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > Look in /boot/vmlinux-2.2.17, you'll see.
> >
> > Ethan, what kind of machines need CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT=n with quik?
>
> At least the 7200, I believe.

correct, i talked to ben about this recently the problem is the way
this particular feature trys to access the OF framebuffer, on
oldworlds with non-existant or very broken OF video drivers this code
would crash OF.  he told me this should be fixed in recent kernels but
i have not tested this.  (i don't intend to since the only oldworld i
have to test is a friend of mines in another state, and he gets quikly
annoyed by me giving him broken kernels.)

> To my knowledge, it is only used for what it claims - to display text
> early in boot.  This may encompass using a debugger (namely xmon) early
> in boot.

yup, it attempts to display kernel printk()s before the framebuffer
driver is initialized so under normal conditions there is not going to
be very much there.  xmon is about the only real reason you would need
this (and even then only if you needed xmon that early)

BOOTX_TEXT is a misnomor though, it really doesn't have much to do
with BootX at all.  its also not required for either BootX or
non-BootX booting.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/