Re: Pushing up daisies...

real-base is almost certainly the starting address for real memory, or physical memory for hardware types ~:^)  I don't know what possesed you to try and change this, but you told it that memory starts somewhere other than where it starts, which means just about nothing will work.

Quick hardware lesson:

physical memory always has some base starting address, and it's not 0.  this allows the hardware to use addresses below this (and above, if physical memory has a maximum size) for fixed uses that the mmu will know.  such things like the ROM addresses, device addresses and so on.  the base physical address is used to set up the mmu before anything much happens, and so that is why not much is working on your system.  hope the power depravation thing works!