RE: Pushing up daisies...

> From: newsgate@impure.org.uk [mailto:newsgate@impure.org.uk]
>
> In newsgate.debian.powerpc, Leandro Dutra wrote:
>
>  > 	What about opening the machine, disconnecting the power
> cable from
>  > the hard disk drive, booting from a diskette, and then
> shutting down the
>  > machine?  This should reset the Open Firmware.
>
> The iBook doesn't have a floppy drive :/

	What about being nice and substituting CD for floppy, as you
probably have done in your mind already?

> It's not actually getting as far as booting any media. I
> think what I've
> done is set the entry point for open firmware to a location
> in memory that
> isn't where OF starts.
>
> Since OF can't start, it can't enter the boot code that starts any OS.
> And since the OF variables are stored in flashrom, resetting
> it could be a
> problem.

	Maybe I'm naive, but why then your disk drive and CD would spin?
Aren't they spinned by OpenFirware, or just by having power applied to them?
I wouldn't think you could alter the entry point for Open Firmware, but that
you could alter the initialization process after Open Firmware has started.

	Booting from CD, or simply don't booting maybe will do the trick.
AFAIK, the trick is getting to boot without the hard disk attached so that
OF will try the default initialization methods, namely the CD or floppy.
But maybe I've just misunderstood the method.

	Anyway no hurt in trying.

--_
 / \      Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra +55 (11) 246 96 07 resl
 \ /      Amdocs Brasil Ltda, Sao Paulo          +55 (11) 3040 8913 coml
  X      http://terravista.pt./Enseada/1989/ ; mailto:leandrod@amdocs.com
 / \      Campanha fita ASCII, contra correio HTML                BRASIL