Re: help, please

Jeremiah Merkl wrote:

That's not completely true. Worst choice would be somewhere near a
5400/180, or
perhaps a 7200/75. :) In order to get Debian (or any other flavour) to
run on an
oldworld Mac, there's a few more hoops you need to jump through.

True, I have several 7200s 75 90 and 120 Mhz.  the 75 wouldn't work very
well with BootX, but the 90 and 120 are fine.  If could be the machine, I'll
have to do more testing.

First off, if you can live with an extra 200 meg partition to hold
MacOS, then
you can use BootX to start linux...if you don't like that, then you've

I can get MacOS 8.5 into 35MB with networking. Doesn't leave room for kernels and bootX and kernels, so that's why I use a 50MB partition. Just do a custom MacOS install with:

base system
cd/dvd driver
built-in ethernet
appleshare
opentransport
mouse control panel
memory control panel

Let it install, reboot and turn off virtual memory. Now you have room for bootx and friends.

got to go
with quik, which can be harder to deal with. I'm currently using bootx
on an
beige-G3 for simplicity. As often as I actually need to reboot the
blasted
thing, I don't really care, and quik just plain scares me. :)

I've learned a lot about Open Firmware from my Quik experiences, and was
able to get it to work on a 7300.  I failed with a 7200 and beige g3.  YMMV

Basically...for the initial install, you need to use bootx anyways,
AFAIK.
Download it, plus the boot/root disks, and the base-xxx tarball. The
rest of the
install directions are either on the debian website, or this list's
archives.

You can boot from hfs floppy, but if you're going to use bootx anyway,
you might as well install from it too.  I've left the debian kernel,
and ramdisk.tar.gz on my systems in case I need to repair my current installation.

I've found that the stripped MacOS partition is handy anyways, cuz if
you manage
to complete screw up your networking, you can at least reboot, download
packages/patches to the MacOS drive, and then startup in Linux again
afterwards.
Handier than you might think.

True, but it depends on how familiar you are with Linux/Unix.

Mike