Re: OF setting for Quik booting in a 7200

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 09:17:50AM -0200, Leandro Dutra wrote:

> 	Instead I found a message stating I first needed to do chroot
> /target.  That did it, I could do nvsetenv all right now.

that would work too..

> 	But the SCSI id is 3, wouldn't that make it scsi/sd@3:0?  And the

yes.

> partition I created for / was /dev/sda3.  That would make the file path
> scsi/sd@3:3:/vmlinuz?

no, you don't specify a file to the boot-device variable, OF does not
know how to read filesystems.  it will simply load a bootblock off the
bootable partition (if you specify partition 0) the bootblock is
quik's first stage loader which loads the second stage loader from
your root filesystem, that in turn knows how to read ext2, it reads
the /etc/quik.conf and loads your kernel.

you need scsi/sd@3:0 or scsi/sd@3:3, either should work.

> 	Now I think that I screwed it.  Instead of using ofpath, I tryed to

ofpath *should* figure out the right path...  i have no oldworld
hardware to experiment with so no warranty.

> use the Mac device paths as above and now the machine doesn't boot neither
> from the floppy nor from the hard disk.  I also directed output to screen,
> but that also failed and I can see nothing anymore.  Neither Cmd+Opt+O+F
> neither Cmd+Opt+Shf+Del work anymore.  Isn't there a way of restoring
> OpenFirmware to default settings?

yes, Cmd+Opt+p+r from a cold boot will reset it.  the problem is there
is no OF video driver in the 7200 so OF sends everything right out the
serial port.   it could be the path is wrong, or you forgot to run
quik, or your quik.conf is wrong.  if you have a second machine around
or a dumb terminal you can access the OF console and see exactly what
went wrong.

check your /etc/quik.conf (after chroot /target) it should be
something like this:

partition=3

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.18pre21 ## or whatever, don't use a symlink
	label=Linux
	root=/dev/sda3
	read-only

then run /sbin/quik, set the boot-device variable, light candles,
chant and reboot.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/