Re: fdisk kernel panic

Bruce McIntyre wrote:

> I am continuing to have frustration with my internal hard disk (7300,
> Quantum Fireball 2.1) I decided to this time mash Apple OS
> altogether, and so gave mac-fdisk the 'i' command to write a new
> patition map. I was suspecting that the apple patch and driver 43
> patitions were causing the scsi error 80000000 that I was getting
> with my previous installs. The initialisation went fine (fdisk
> prompts you to enter the block size of the disk, which I got from
> first giving it the 'p' command---it returns a size 1 block less than
> that given by dmesg). I wrote in some partitions. 32M Root, 32M swap,
> 100M var, 500M home and the rest usr. when I gave mac-fdisk the 'w'
> command (to write the new patition table) it freaked out and gave me
> something like (copied by hand from screen):
> Kernel access of bad area pc c0206808 lr c0205a70 address 4 task mac-fdisk 44
> it then panicked and all consoles froze as it attempted reboot (which
> never eventuated).
>
> Now I cannot reinstall a working Mac system on the disk to start the
> debian tranistion--- it formats ok with the apple Drive Setup
> utillity, but refuses to make the disk bootable with the startup disk
> control panel (system writes to it ok in the install program).
> while the startup control panel indicates it is the boot disk, at
> boot i dont get anything, only grey... not even the disk icon.
> to boot again from cd, i have to erase the pram, and then reboot with
> c and d held down. after a minute or two of indecision it boots, and
> mounts the drive fine, with the system on it and still indicating
> that it is the boot disk.
> The drive is on the mesh bus at id 1. (I have been trying different
> ids to get debian without scsi errors to no avail)
> Is my computer cursed?

Probably not.

I have a 7300 and it's a good machine, but it's hard drive is starting to go bad
on one sector.  I'm going to have to get a new drive.  You might try that too.

Here's some other things to try:

Remove and reinstall the memory modules and cpu board

Unplug each connector and reinstall them; like the scsi cables, power cables,
etc)

Check the power output of the power supply with a voltage meter (buy a power
extender and cut and strip the cable to attach the meter clips)  Sorry, don't
know which wires to check...

Kicking it a couple times might help... ;)

Hope this helps,

Mike