Re: Newbie Install Question on Umax S900

Thank you to everyone who responded to my initial question about getting Debian going on the S900.

I've gotten BootX going and pointing to sdb4 where I've installed the / partition in the initial configuration. On first boot into Debian I get the following error message:

Starting PCMCIA services: modules/lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: this error may be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/ds.0: init_module: device or resource busy
Hint: this error can  caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
 cardmgr.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
/bin/sh: /sbin/termwrap: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: exec: /sbin/termwrap: cannot execute: No such file or directory

<<< a bunch of the above lines repeated numerous times >>>

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

After this point, the system waits for a couple of minutes before displaying the same: "/bin/sh: /sbin/termwrap: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: exec: /sbin/termwrap: cannot execute: No such file or directory"
error a gazillion times more.

Was there something I should have done differently on the initial configuration of debian? Should I use a different kernel than the default kernel that came with the Debian CDs from CheapBytes? Has anyone run into this error message before?

Thanks!

Ted Swinyar, swinte@wwc.edu
http://www.randomworks.com/

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 02:36:57PM -0800, Ted Swinyar wrote:
> Hello,

>  I am interested in getting Debian PPC going on an old Umax S900
> I've got sitting around. I got the CheapBytes CDs of Debian PPC and
> was able to successfully boot into the initial installer and was
> able to proceed through the installation until the part of the
> install process where I was supposed to create a boot disk. At that
> point I received an error message that this procedure was not
> supported yet and have been unable to continue the process beyond
> this point. Upon reboot Debian fails to boot and I'm kicked back to
> square 1.

boot floppy creation is not supported on powerpc so that part is
normal.  bootloader installation only works [partially] on oldworld
macs such as yours.  however the bootloader setup does not configure
OpenFirmware to boot quik.  you can try the following step to set the
OF variable yourself:

nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/hda)0"

assuming its an ide disk, use /dev/sda if its scsi (and the first scsi
disk).

the other option is bootx but that requires macos which is quite
ugly.

>  I have been surfing around the net and have read through the Debian
> install guide, the FAQ-o-matic and penguinppc.net's guides. Has
> anyone run into this type of problem previously? Is there anything
> special I need to do to get the S900 going?

the install docs mention the bootloader stuff.  quik is not as well
documented online though.  (its simple really, but OpenFirmware is
black art)

> If this isn't the appropriate place to post questions like these, I
> apologize in advance and would appreciate any guidance as to other
> locations where I could find assistance on this.

no this list is fine.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/