SCSI woe

Hello,
While attempting to install Debian (have tried 2.2.17 & .19) I have been getting many SCSI errors at various stages in the install process as well as on restart (the time I was lucky enough to get that far). I have a Quantum Fireball TM2100s Rev 300Z which I am attempting to dual boot with BootX ( later I want to ditch MacOS ) I have tried the drive on both Id 0 and 1, as well as on the Mesh and the 53C94 controllers. I have checked the drive for bad sectors and have made sure that the partitioning utility knows the real size of my disk. When attempting to install kernel, or base, (while in the rescue floppy or booting from the BootX image) I receive nasty stuff like:

SCSI disk error: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000000
scsidisk I/O error; dev 08, 07 lun sector 262168
    read_inode_bitmap : Cannot read inode bitmap
ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes count in super block, stored = 217717, counted = 202165

I have tried many different partition schemes; some even got me as far as starting emacs, but at every startup fsck would find more problems and files would just disappear to lost_and_found....

thanks for any ideas about this...