Re: USB Mouse Problem

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:13:31AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> I don't know about policy, but this would break for people building their own
> 2.2.18 with old .configs (updated by make oldconfig of course).

quite true.  converting a non HID .config into a working HID .config
is a wee bit screwy.

> A nitpick, I know, but if there's a way to detect HID, it would be better.
>
> Here's one: grep HID /boot/config-`uname --release` and leaving the default
> (usbmouse or adbmouse) if that isn't found (i.e. if someone rolled and installed
> their own kernel not as a .deb).  Then again, that would only work for the
> currently installed kernel; if someone's upgraded to R2 already they likely
> fixed manually already, as Ethan said.  For new installs it would work though...

new installs don't have this problem anyway since drow fixed
base2_2.tgz in the first place to include the nodes.

the /boot/config idea is a bit too fragile IMO since not everyone uses
kernel package and its quite easy for that config to not match the
actual running kernel (especially on bootx systems).

i think this is probably just one of those times when its going to
break and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.  the only choice
is when to break things, but we have already passed that.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/