USB Mouse Problem

I could not find anythign on this at the web site, so I apologize if it is an old question.

I have an Imac DV (slot-loading New World Rom). My mouse does not work at all. As the kernel boots I see that it will recognize my intellimouse explorer. I rebooted with my hockey puck and i saw on the kernel load that it recognized this mouse and even mentioned 3 button emulation but still nothing. I did a CD install. This is 2.2 potato Rev2.

I tried Xconfigurator that I have used with linuxppc but apparently that is not present in debian. Any help would be appreciated.