Re: USB Mouse Problem

Quoting Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>:

> On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:00:47PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >
> > This sounds like yet another "new input layer" problem, caused by a
> kernel
> > config change in 2.2R2 without a similar upgrade to the /dev nodes and
> default X
> > and gpm settings.  Here's my stock answer to new input layer
> questions:
>
> I wonder if its worth attempting to get makedev fixed and installed
> into proposed-updates for potato r3, or has everyone already upgraded
> to r2 --> broke system --> fixed manually ?
>
> fixing makedev would at least make it simpler for people to get the
> nodes (instead of trying to install ruinmysystem.rpm) but it X and gpm
> are still going to break since makedev can either repoint the
> /dev/mouse symlink at input/mice which breaks on 2.2.17 kernels, or it
> can leave it alone and gpm/X break when the kernel is changed to
> 2.2.18.  fiddling with config files has the same problem (and is a
> policy no-no anyway)

I think I have an idea for a quite easy fix. Add to the MAKEDEV package an
initscript that checks the kernel version and makes /dev/mouse point to the
correct location.
In pseudo-code:

if kernel_version <= 2.2.17
  ln -sf /dev/usbmouse /dev/mouse
else
  ln -sf /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse
fi

I don't know if the policy would have anything against it... Comments ?

Cheers

/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net