Re: Xfree 3.x for Cirrus Logic GD 5446 on a RS 6000 clone (Bull Estrella 320)

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:17:22 +0100
Mark Lamers <mark@marklamers.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>Anybody got any succes with this combination?
>Please let me know

Your machine maybe not RS/6000 clone but Motorola Powerstack clone.
Most of them, called "blackhawk", have CillusLogic 54xx VideoChips,
and X works with specific server called "Xbh", X server for BlackHawk.
So, I suppose you need to install Xbh server with alien to use X.

X_FBDev uses framebuffer support on kernel.
So, if it has no framebuffer devices, or no framebuffer support on it,
you could not use this server.
RS/6000 PRePs have special S3_based framebuffer support.
But Blackhawk haven't.

There was a patch for CirrusLogic54xx based framebuffer support.
(kernel 2.2.14pre....?)
But now, the driver only works on ix86 or any other little-endian
platform, I heard.

Best regards.
Kaz Aoshima = Editor of the PReP station
Material development, Faculty of engineering,
Tohoku University, Japan
E-mail:aoshimak@mail.cc.tohoku.ac.jp
#I would appreciate if you could give me suggestions
 for my impolite English expressions.