Please Help - Debian on iBook Install

Hi,

I have an Apple iBook with FireWire (Summer 2000 model), and it seems I
run into troube installing Debian.

1) Potato 2.2r2 CD#1 could not be used as startup - hangs at the
beginning with strange video artifacts. Nothing helps.

2) I can install LinuxPPC (Red Hat v7 based) without complete
reformatting my HD (I have 6 GB MacOS 9 partition and 4 GB unallocated).
Is it possible to use LinuxPPC partitioning scheme later with Debian?
LinuxPPC uses 32 MB HFS startup partition to load Linux kernel. I like
this more rather creating non-editable bootstrap partition.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

*   Best Regards   ---   Andrei Verovski        *
*   e-mail         ---   mac.guru@bigfoot.com   *
*   Personal Home Page                          *
*   http://homepage.mac.com/macgurutemple/      *