IDE-problems

I get the follpwing message every now and then on my potato box, a
PowerBook 3400 (custom 2.2.17pre11, IDE settings not changed from pmac
standard), or even a complete lockup at boot time which forces me to
press the reset btn, and has already resulted in data loss(t+found):

hda: Enabling MultiWord DMA 2
ide_pmace: wait_for_ready, error status: 51
pmac_ide_do_setfeature disk not ready after SET_FEATURE !
hda: dma_intr: status=0x00 { }
hda: Failed !

I have an 'alien'ized pmud 0.6.1 installed and its script
/etc/power/pwrctrl mentions fiddling with DMA on the PB 3400:

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# On the 3400, for minimum power, we put the CPU into nap mode
# (rather than doze mode) when it is idle.  This reduces power
# consumption but means that DMA is no longer cache coherent.
# Therefore we have to disable DMA, including the ethernet.
# We also turn the ethernet off during sleep.
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

function pwrctl_3400()
{
	case "$1" in
	minimum)
 	   	ifconfig eth0 down
    		hdparm -d0 -S 12 /dev/hda
    		hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
    		echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/powersave-nap
    	;;
	medium)
    		echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/powersave-nap
    		hdparm -d1 -p -S 12 /dev/hda
    		hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
    		ifconfig eth0 up
    	;;
	maximum)
    		echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/powersave-nap
		case "$2" in
		ac)
			# on mains, do not spin down
    			hdparm -d1 -p -S 0 /dev/hda
		;;
		*)
    			# on battery, set disk to spin down after 5 minute
    			hdparm -d1 -p -S 60 /dev/hda
		;;
		esac
    		hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
    		ifconfig eth0 up
    	;;
	warning)
		do_warn
	;;
	sleep)
    		ifconfig eth0 down
    	;;
	wakeup)
 		xrefresh 2> /dev/null
   		ifconfig eth0 up
	;;
	*)
		$logger -p daemon.error -t pwrctl "$0: invalid arg $1"
	;;
	esac
}

Please help me to find out if it's a hardware problem. BTW I get the
same error msgs with the stock <= 2.2.17 kernels.

--
Andre