Re: Booting install system

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:10:58AM -0500, Kevin van Haaren wrote:
> I'm encountering the same issue on my PowerMac 7200.  I tried the
> boot-floppy-hfs.img from 7/20 & 7/17.  The 7/17 one would just spit
> back out.  The 7/20 one gave me the computer+penguin icon for awhile
> and then goes to a blank screen.

OK, the 7/17 spitting out baffles me.  Are you sure the floppy was
good?  Did you try it again?

The failure to boot you need to hash out on linuxppc-dev, I'm afraid.
Some other people complained that recent kernels broke the 7200; I
don't have one available to me, so I can not poke at the problem.

> I made the floppies using DiskCopy 6.3.3

Do you have any other Linux or x86 machines available so you could try
the floppy with rawrite or dd?  DiskCopy should work but I'd like to
know where the problem was.

> I also ran into the same BootX issue attempting to boot from HD using
> BootX extension.  I tried putting the ramdisk.image.gz file & linux
> kernel from the boot disks directory into several locations and
> always gett the Unable to find suitable kernel error.

The correct location is :System Folder:ramdisk.image.gz and ":System
Folder:Linux Kernels:vmlinux".

> Also, are the boot disks (and cd) mirrored anywhere? I feel
> incredibly guilty getting them from ftp.debian.org but the sid
> directory doesn't seem to be mirrored to ftp.us.debian.org.

They certainly should be.  They aren't at the moment - I'm going to go
harass ftpmaster.  Something is hideously wrong.

Dan