Re: Booting install system

I'm encountering the same issue on my PowerMac 7200. I tried the boot-floppy-hfs.img from 7/20 & 7/17. The 7/17 one would just spit back out. The 7/20 one gave me the computer+penguin icon for awhile and then goes to a blank screen.

I made the floppies using DiskCopy 6.3.3

I also ran into the same BootX issue attempting to boot from HD using BootX extension. I tried putting the ramdisk.image.gz file & linux kernel from the boot disks directory into several locations and always gett the Unable to find suitable kernel error.

Also, are the boot disks (and cd) mirrored anywhere? I feel incredibly guilty getting them from ftp.debian.org but the sid directory doesn't seem to be mirrored to ftp.us.debian.org.

This is a PowerMac 7200, System 7.5.3 update 2, 24mb of memory, 500mb harddrive, factory cd-rom (forget who made it).

Thanks - Kevin

At 12:37 PM -0700 7/23/2000, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 12:16:02PM -0700, Cameron wrote:
 > Ok, I have a starmax 4000/200 (200 mhz 604e).
 >
 > I wanna put debian on this thing. Now, making a boot floppy (with my intel
 > debian box) won't work. It just spits the floppy out during boot up.
 > Any ideas on how to get around that?

What're you making it from?  You should be using the
boot-floppy-hfs.img.  Root/Rescue are not bootable on Macs.  If the HFS
image is not booting on a Starmax, I need to find out why not.

 > Any ideas on what to try with bootx? Any ideas on how to boot up the
 > install system period (besides a bootable cd, I don't feel like
 > downloading a cd image over a 56k)?

The CD wouldn't boot on your machine anyway.  It's only for newer ones.

Dan