new installation problems and where are the .deb ?

Hi,

After using slackware, and redhat-ish distributions since I started Linux, I
gave a try this week-end (yeah, I know but I was on holidays) to Debian PPC on
my iMac rev. B.
I had 2 problems:
first one is that the installer can't fins the drivers.tgz if the directory has
got a space in its name (for me was "/mnt/Debian Potato/"). Might need to
"quote" all the path used when user input is needed in the installer.

Second one is that XFree 3.3.6 is not working at all for me. No, no, not that X
is not working just X 3.3.6. I setup the /etc/X11/Xserver to use an XFree 3.3.5
binary I had lying around, and it worked perfectly... X 3.3.6 was discarding all
the modes saying that they were not valid. Same XF86Config, other binary and it
worked perfectly. Dunno why.

I'm very happy with the Debian I installed. (Especially when a workmate did
setup a debian mirror in-house =) Three cheers to all the Debian developers for
the job.

My question is that some packages look outdated to me (I know that stability is
the keyword for Debian). I wanted to know where I could find .deb of GNOME
applications, and XFree 4.0.x. There is nothing in the woody dir, and couldn't
find anything using Google.

Thanks a lot for your time guys.

/Hadess

PS: Do _NOT_ buy "Learning GNU/Linux" at O'Reilly if you already know about
Linux. The specifics about Debian in this book aren't worth a penny (except if
you want to have the man page of dpkg, dselect and apt printed...). If you're a
beginner to Linux however, pretty accurate, a bit lacking details in some parts,
but interesting.