Re: G4, debian, and Cinema Display

>You're not alone.  I think it works great.  The HOWTO would be real handy,
>though.
>
>>   I convinced the boss to get a cinema display for SIGGRAPH, which is
>> really cool, but I can't get the standard ATI 128 frame buffer to kick
>> in and display anything to the cinema display. Does anyone have a modedb
>> entry to get the cinema display to work?
>
>Wow.  I think the digital out connector is the second head on the ATI 128.
>I've heard rumors of support for it in XFree86 4.0, but I don't know where.
>It is definately more than just getting the timing right.

The number of "heads" and the video outputs are two different things. The
chip can be configured to have the primary head on either the digital or
analog output, to do mirroring, to have a second head, etc...

So getting the Cinema display to work is mostly a matter of correctly
configuring the LCD registers and setting up the correct timings.

There may be a way to handle that: By spying the values set by the MacOS
drivers in all the r128 registers, and analysing them.

Also, Open Firmware may be able to initialize it correctly. In this case,
using the "novideo" mode would allow to use it, but X acceleration might
not work (to be tested)
and you'll be limited to 8 bits.

Ben.