Re: fb-related kernel panic?

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 11:16:14AM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:

> :) I've got a Dell/Trinitron monitor, so it must just be more robust then
> yours. fbset itself never caused the panic, it behaved fine. Mayhaps it's
> an incompatibility between bash and the fb-driver?

well its a 17" apple monitor so i know it can do many modes, more
likly is im just not using fbset right or something like that.  im
pretty happy with 1024x768 so i am not putting much effort into
messing with it.

> I'm assuming that it crashes no matter what I switch back to, because of
> the video mode...X or not, it doesn't like 1280x1024.

probably, i think the framebuffer stuff does have interactions with X

> Mine doesn't go black, however it does seem to resync the videomode half
> the time (monitor clicks and flickers like it's changing resolutions)

yeah that is similar to what mine does, but the image goes away for
about a second or two until it refreshes, there is just a slight
`shimmer' sound.  i have been told its due to the RAMDAC being
reprogrammed making the monitor thing it needs to resync.

> I figure it's the fb-driver then. And I'm not skilled enough to even
> attempt to debug it. :) Anyone know if the 2.4 kernel tree behaves any
> better?

the aty128fb driver is a backport from 2.4, and not really much
maintained AFAICS.  the maintainer of the 2.4 driver was not really
doing much on the 2.2 front.

> Yep. That's what happens on mine too. Anyone know how to change the
> default boot-up video mode? I tried playing with my yaboot additions
> "video=aty128fb:vmode=24:cmode=32" but nothing I changed made any
> difference.

from what i have read about frambuffers that should be it but i have
never had any luck either.

really the main thing i would like to fix with this silly framebuffer
(othe then the annoying resync on VC switches) is this big ugly
blinking block cursor.  its a blinking _ on sparcs just like the intel
VGA, so why not on ppc !

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/