Re: fb-related kernel panic?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 11:53:02AM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:
> I've been having issues with my video.
>
> Standard G3-'99, with a rage128. Seems that if I use fbset to change my
> video mode to 1280x1024 (on console), as soon as I hit the bottom of the
> screen, I kernel-panic...except it doesn't even tell me. :) It just beeps,
> locks, and reboots 3 minutes later. Neat, huh?

i don't remember if i have ever paniced the kernel messing with fbset
(i think so...)  but i have paniced the kernel by using the scrollback
buffer and gpm at the same time.

i have never been able to do anything useful with fbset however,
everything i try just scrambles the screen...

> I also have the problem if I run MOL in 1280x1024 on VC8, and I switch
> back to X.

i don't use X on this box so i don't know.

> Anyone else have this problem? Is it a kernel-fb driver, fbset, what?

i think the aty128fb driver is a bit buggy.  it has one obnoxious bug
that causes the screen to go black everytime i switch VCs.  still no
solution to that yet..

> Not to mention, anyone on a G3 got X running in >1024x768? I can't seem to
> get it...

hmm  my kernel always boots the frambuffer to 1024x768 and fbdev X
server just retains that by default the few times i have tried X..

(you mean blue G3 '99 right?)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/