Re: Paul's 2.2.15 does not boot a 7200

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 04:01:01PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > > PPC tends to not use compressed images
>         ^^^^^
>
> > Not true: PPC uses compressed kernel images embedded into a loadable image
> > (ELF in case of my CHRP box). A quick glance at arch/ppc/coffboot/Makefile
> > makes me think a similar thing is done for PowerMac.
>
> note i said `tends to not use' not `never use'  the boot loaders for
> desktop ppcs don't prefer compressed images (if they work at all which

CHRP == desktop

> i highly doubt)  i don't know what boot loader embedded devices are
> using but im sure its different then quik/yaboot

I see no reason why they wouldn't work with quick/yaboot since the
decompressor is embedded in the boot image as well. Hence the boot loader is
not aware that there's any compression.

BTW, is there no `decompressing kernel image' output on PowerMac? It's possible
that it's not visible on PowerMacs with inferior OF and only serial OF support.
And how large is your boot image? Is it smaller than `vmlinux'?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org