Re: sound on G3 Powerbook

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 02:36:53PM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:

> > the back i can hear the system beep and anything i dump into
> > /dev/audio.  (i have dmasound compiled into the kernel) but the
> > internel speaker does not work.
>
> Thanks for that help...now, about your G3 (or anyone else with a B&W) am I
> correct in recalling that Xfree3.3.6 doesn't have accelerated support for
> the Rage128? Or am I missing something...

not that i am aware of.

> Ethan...do you have your B&W XF86Config setup properly to allow for mode
> changes? I appear to be stuck in 1024x768x75hz, (the last resolution I used
> under MacOS) and if I try to change it, X hangs the machine...it's just
> luverly. :)

no i don't use X on this machine since i have a intel box with a well
supported card in it, i just don't bother with it on this machine.  i
like the console anyway.

> Any one point me in the right direction, at least? I always try to RTFM
> before I ask questions, but that kind of requires me to find a manual to
> read. :)

what you need to do is calculate the correct modelines for your
monitor and enter them into XF86Config, you can see how they go in by
looking at it.  once you do that your pretty much there.  the tricky
part is calculating correct modelines.  i believe that involves a
pen, paper and a calculater..  unless you have an intel box around
with a fairly recent video card then you can use one of various
programs to get the modelines from the monitor via some communications
monitors have now.  none of that software works on non-intel hardware
AFAIK.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/